7.07.2005

Remembering September 11: Tragedy in London

I have a confession to make. Just yesterday I had decided that since I’ve been writing about such intense political issues lately, it was time to blog about something on the “lighter” side. When I woke up this morning, I realized that today would not be the day to go "light."

I found two text messages on my phone when I got up. One was sent at 5:30am by a friend in Virginia, who incidentally absolutely hates sending text messages. Just the day before, he told me that he was through sending text messages. I say all that to say that seeing that he'd sent a text and that it came as early as it did got my attention. His message read, "T attacks in London." While I had no idea what the heck that meant, the word "attacks" gave me all the clue I needed to know something was really wrong. I immediately jumped online to find out.


Reading and watching the reports took me back to that terrible Tuesday in 2001. I remember feeling numb, terrified, sad and angry all at the same time. It was surreal to hear newscasters report that the United States hadn’t been attacked on such a massive scale on its own territory since Pearl Harbor, the bombing that catapulted us into a world war. What we saw that day, and so many days thereafter, was the kind of thing that seemed reserved for history books…and movies.

This morning, the scenes of the tragic events in London took me back to that dark day in September. The announcement that Britain hadn’t suffered such an attack since World War II sent chills through my body. My eyes were instantly filled with tears as I remembered the devastation of 9/11. Innocent men and women simply on their way to work, having just said goodbye to loved ones at home, whose lives were so violently and so insidiously ripped away.

Tony Blair’s speech was heart wrenching. While I was so thankful and so impressed by President Bush’s post-9/11 leadership, I took note of a difference in Blair’s tone and demeanor today. Tony Blair has served his nation as Prime Minister for eight years now. When he spoke, he did so with restrained emotion. He spoke as a leader who felt more like a husband and father who’d just watched his family tortured and killed. He spoke as a man grieving personally over this very public outrage. He spoke as a man who would make them pay.

I pray that God would give these leaders the wisdom, insight and strength to bring the vicious attackers to justice. I pray that God would comfort those precious families and loved ones of those who fell today. And, I pray that every person who reads these words would do likewise.

2 Comments:

At 7/08/2005 07:32:00 AM, Blogger Layman said...

At times like this I take comfort in the fact that God does not reserve all his wrath and judgment for the next life:

"Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil."

Romans 13:3-4.

In Blair and Bush we have just the leaders to do it.

 
At 7/11/2005 10:11:00 PM, Anonymous Clayton Bell said...

The world is slowly doing all it can to either wrestle away our ability to be light, or force us so far to that side that we can't ever seen the gravity of a situation. Hopefully, you can bring a voice that knows how to balance them. And, if you want a good balance, watch the show Scrubs. Just came out on DVD. High Comedy...
(see how I just did that?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home