8.08.2005

Peter Jennings Moments

I had begun writing an article entitled, "Diagnosis: Chronic Media Bias" tonight. But, I heard the news of the death of ABC Reporter/News Anchor Peter Jennings. My "media bias" piece will have to wait. (My guess is that there will be many times to revisit that issue.) That time, however, is not now.

I was listening to Matt Drudge on the radio tonight and heard one caller after another bashing Jennings' politics and his bias over the years. You know, we've had plenty of time to talk about his political views and media style. We will have much more time to analyze his political leanings and even his bias. There will be time to evaluate the current role of the "Old Media."

Today, however, none of that matters. Today, I believe that the most appropriate response from liberals and conservatives alike is to honor the man's life, his contribution to the industry to which he devoted his life and to pray for his family and friends.

All life is sacred--liberal and conservative, Christian and atheist, American and Arab. I think of the day that I heard about Former President Bill Clinton's heart surgery. For as much as I disagreed, to say the least, with the man's politics and his legacy, my initial and continued response to that news was to pray for him. Politics fades in the distant background when a man's life is at stake.

Moments like these offer us reminders of the frailty of life. Let's not take for granted the life we have and the ones we love.

God bless Peter Jennings' family and friends in this very difficult time.

8 Comments:

At 8/08/2005 06:26:00 AM, Blogger mlwhitt said...

While I don't respect his opinions, I grew up seeing Peter Jennings behind the desk. As Lores said, God bless him and his family in this time of mourning.

 
At 8/08/2005 01:15:00 PM, Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Well said.

 
At 8/08/2005 01:38:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Peter Jennings, like me, was uneducated. His life is a tribute to what can be accomplished by hard work, determination, talent, brains, some luck, and, in Jennings case, a father in the industry. That helps, but he still became an icon on his own, and I salute him for that.

God rest his soul.

 
At 8/08/2005 07:18:00 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

Well done. Regardless of political, social, or religious views, a life is still a life. My condolences to his family.

 
At 8/08/2005 08:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better be careful. This kind of analysis won't get you very far with all the right wing bloggers who do nothing else but whine about the MSM. I heard you on Sean Hannity a couple of weeks ago and have been checking in to your blog periodically. What distinguishes you from most of the others is that you are not a hateful person and you actually come up with some original commentary instead of just posting what someone else has said or written and then arguing against it. That is the standard operating procedure for most other blogs and it gets very boring. Keep up the good work.

 
At 8/08/2005 08:43:00 PM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

anonymous, thank you!

i wish you didn't post anonymously. i'd love for you to comment regularly!

 
At 8/09/2005 02:13:00 AM, Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Lores, I agree with you totally.
While Mr. Jennings and I disagreed on many things, and I was sometimes offended by his slipping political comentary into his supposedly "objective" news casts, He is gone now, and I think it is best to let the dead rest. I deeply respect his accomplishments, no matter what his ideology may have been.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Losing a loved one is never easy.

 
At 8/09/2005 04:47:00 AM, Anonymous kelly said...

Hi Lores. While I wish I would have entered in to your discussions on a lighter topic, I share your sentiments. I did not know him or his views all that well, but I admire his dedication to his work. I remember when he reported on 9/11 and the days following it. He looked exhausted but he gave everything he had. It was probably one of his finest hours, as with many Americans. My condolences to his family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home