9.04.2005

Blaming God?

I remember on 9/11...That sense of righteous indignation about what happened on our soil drove the president to declare unilateral action, essentially in Iraq. When he tours the Gulf region today, I hope he will stand on a pile of rubble. And he will look up to the heavens and say to God, "You're responsible for this. And soon you will hear from us."

What we're looking at is an extraordinarily slow response, from someone who prides themselves in their overwhelming Christian response...We're not looking for al Qaeda. God is responsible for this. And in His own time, He will reveal why. But we are under an obligation as Americans, as people who care about Americans, to help rebuild their lives. And the president of the United States can set the tone for that rebuilding effort. Thank you, and...thank you.

(Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr., Congressional Black Caucus Friday, September 2)



I'm curious who Representative Jackson believes he's representing on his exhortation to the president. How does the son of "Reverend" Jesse Jackson essentially tell the President of the United States to curse God and not get challenged by anyone in the mainstream media?! Is it because everyone agrees? Do his Democratic colleagues concur?

I checked on a few websites today to see if anyone else was repeating the "curse God" mantra. Here's what I found:


  • The Democratic National Committee features a letter from Howard Dean urged all to give towards the relief efforts for the victims of hurricane Katrina.
  • The Move On.Org contained NO criticism of the handling of the relief efforts--or of God, for that matter, only a challenge to its members to donate. It has also set up a sister site to organize housing for the victims.

Clearly, these very left-leaning organizations are not chanting the Jackson mantra. At least not now. I have to say that though I disagree vehemently with the political views and actions of Move On.Org, I was very impressed by their organization and commitment to the victims above politics on their site today.

Congressman Jackson's inane remarks echoed nowhere. They were simply a desperate attempt to mock a political opponent who is unabashed in his statements of faith. He follows the comment on the president's "righteous indignation with a reference to Iraq. He follows his challenge to Bush's "Christian response" with a reference to Al Quaeda. Translation: "You used God to justify your actions after 9/11. You can't use Him now. He did this. I knew He wasn't on your side then. But, we all know He's not on your side now. He's the one who caused this. You're on your own."

Jackson's foolishness is actually not a reflection of some anti-God campaign. It's an anti-Bush campaign. Just politics. It's a case of the ends justifying the means. And, because Bush has re-introduced faith in the political arena, his critics are slinging mud at God now.

Self-interest is a powerful motivator. Better men have done likewise. I can't help but think of one man who swore to Jesus personally that he would NEVER deny or abandon Him. Before long, he had done it not just once but three times. Not because he no longer believed but because he feared for his very life. That man was Peter, of course. If happened to him, it could happen to anyone, including the Congressman from Illinois.

Congressman Jackson represents a radical segment of very scared, desperate politicians who are willing to do and say ANYTHING, however foolish or even blasphemous in their passionate endeavor to tear the president down.

Honestly, as I hear the news of Justice Rehnquist's death, I am saddened and concerned for yet another event of historic proportions to land in the midst of the rest of this mess. I can't help but think of one more biblical figure. One who suffered great tragedy, accusations and loss. He, too, was instructed to curse God. Job wasn't the smartest or best looking guy in town. He made mistakes. But, he did trust his God and did what was in his hands to do. [Hear me now. I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Bush's imperfections as a man or a president. I have been disappointed by this administration more times than I'd prefer to recount. That is not the point.] The point is that there are similarities between the men and their circumstances.

Perhaps the day will come, years after all this, when everyone will look back and see multiplied blessings far surpassing the death and calamity we see today, when we consider the life and presidency of George W Bush.

17 Comments:

At 9/04/2005 07:19:00 AM, Blogger Layman said...

Lores,

I too found Jackson's remarks puzzling and contemptable. I have tried, however, to undrestand them in some way other than how they sound. Did he really mean our President should challenge God? Perhaps he did, but I have considered another possibility. Perhaps he meant that Bush would show God what we are made out of by stepping up to the challenge and devoting as much time, energy, and resources into the relief effort as we have the Iraq War?

Does that sound like a possibility?

I would add that even so, the remarks were still an attack on Bush that was unjustified. We do not even have a body count yet and already they are blaminig Bush.

Chris

 
At 9/04/2005 08:42:00 AM, Blogger Poison Pero said...

The apple didn't fall far from the tree at all.

Damn, MLK would be disgusted by the maggots who've succeded him.....They haven't forwarded his cause, they've bastardized it.

 
At 9/04/2005 01:19:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I seem to rcall someone once wrote a book entitled, "Your Arms are Too Short to Box with God"

Some one should tell Congressman Jackson that.

 
At 9/04/2005 01:27:00 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Gee, everyone but Bush is somehow up for criticism.

Anyway, I might point out that constantly saying that daring to criticize the Federal government, or Bush, for the response to this disaster is itself a political statement. And one being pushed by political operatives as damage control in the White House, and via their usual outlets in rightwing radio and TV.

So, let's not pretend that somehow this is "above politics" -- politics is what gets spent with our tax dollars for what reasons. And who gets appointed to the USSC, say.

As I pointed out, we can help (all sides) and still question. Some don't like to question -- or question only whomever on the "other side" they can dig up. Like JJ, Jr. I have to say that I think layman is closer to the truth on this, but I don't really care. If JJ, Jr. said something stupid, then he said something stupid, regardless of party.

I've yet to hear one reason why an "attack" -- i.e., criticism -- of Bush is somehow unjustified. Oh, well.

 
At 9/04/2005 01:28:00 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Ooops..."...constantly saying that...is political is itself political..." is what I meant to write.

 
At 9/04/2005 01:34:00 PM, Blogger Layman said...

"Gee, everyone but Bush is somehow up for criticism."

As usual, you read so much more into one post than is there.

 
At 9/04/2005 03:08:00 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Hey, layman!

First, show me a post on this blog in which Bush was criticized, and I'll say I'm wrong. I know Thornbloggers have...maybe I got the two blogs confused....

Second, what do you think of my response to your post on the revocation of bonuses?

Third, what did I read into the post? That is, admittedly, a problem with all written communication -- especially e-mail and blog-postings.

Thanks!

 
At 9/04/2005 05:42:00 PM, Blogger William said...

"What we're looking at is an extraordinarily slow respnse, from someone who prides themselves in their overwhelming Christian response..." -- JJ, Jr.

I find it difficult to believe that some of our nations leaders can be so naive. Bill Clinton, in his support for the Bush's efforts states that Bush has handled the situation in a very timely and professional manner. Clinton even stated that as president nothing happens at the snap of a finger.

Had our troops been in America, then perhaps the relief effort would have been made easier. But, they were not. So, we must deal with it. Do we really believe that Bush would have deployed US troops in Iraq had he known that America itself were going to suffer as we have? I would like to think not. Yet, here's another question. If we as Americans would have known that Katrina would be so devastating, would we not have previously sent supplies to New Orleans, and would not the local governments have reinforced the levees sooner? For NO to have known years ago that the levees would break compels me to place the responsibilty on the local government. Yet, I am swayed when I think that the federal government could have imposed that NO fix their levees even allocating funds for the project. My point is that we accept responsibilty as a nation, and then move forward in the same fashion.

The sobering truth is that we were caught off guard. New Orleans wasn't prepared, President Bush wasn't prepared, and we as Americans were not prepared.

I hope that years from now we will see the 'multiplied blessings' of Bush's administration. The devastation of Katrina has been measured by a scale of 'biblical proportions.' That said I hope that we, as Lores has stated, can learn from the aforementioned biblical figures so that years from now we will see not only 'multiplied blessings' but increased morality as well....

 
At 9/04/2005 05:53:00 PM, Blogger Poison Pero said...

Doug, you need to come by my blog periodically.......I'm very hard on the Republicans in my "Republicans in Wonderland" topic.

I get so sick of hearing this sad song......When's the last time you bashed a Lefty by the way?

 
At 9/04/2005 07:35:00 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Jackson Jr.'s remarks aren't even relevant to what's going on.
I'm listening to people in politics VERY carefully these days.
Who is spewing blame? Who seems to be positioning themselves in order to protect their own butt? I find people's attitudes and words very telling at this time.
Any person who is spewing without taking responsibilty will lose my respect. I don't care what party they belong to or who they are.
People who are standing strong, focused on what needs to be done will gain my respect.
If the Pres engages in finger pointing, I will be profoundly disappointed.
I'm looking for leadership that stands up and takes whatever criticism comes, both deserved and not deserved.
I want to hear leaders at all levels from local, state to fed admit their failures and lessons learned. Those who don't do this and act like they did everything right, will lose my respect.
I want to hear the mayor of New Orleans say what HE did WRONG instead of what others did wrong.
I want to hear the governor of LA say where SHE failed.
I want to hear Pres Bush continue to say that the response was "unacceptable" and not shy away from where those failures occurred.
All need to own up to their mistakes.
Those who I hear blaming better have a perfect record in this matter.

 
At 9/04/2005 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Layman said...

" show me a post on this blog in which Bush was criticized, and I'll say I'm wrong. "

Since the purpose of the post in particular and this blog in general is not to hand out criticism to everyone who may deserve it, you have no point (which only seems to be that Lores comes from a conservative point of view anyway, which is again, no point at all).

Revocation of which bonuses?

 
At 9/04/2005 08:56:00 PM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

doug, did you miss my acknowledgement of the DNC and Move On??

As far as Republicans go, i began this blog with criticisms of the administration. so much so that i had to explain to conservatives that i do support the man. you may want to read, or re-read the following.
http://justawoman2005.blogspot.com/2005/06/fools-in-love.html

http://justawoman2005.blogspot.com/2005/06/thousand-words.html

http://justawoman2005.blogspot.com/2005/06/human-traffickingthe-irony.html

http://justawoman2005.blogspot.com/2005/08/border-politics.html

http://justawoman2005.blogspot.com/2005/07/flip-flopping-frist.html

 
At 9/04/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Layman said...

You call that criticism? You haven't called Bush a terrorist or called for his impeachment.

 
At 9/05/2005 03:33:00 PM, Blogger Doug said...

"The sobering truth is that we were caught off guard. New Orleans wasn't prepared, President Bush wasn't prepared, and we as Americans were not prepared."

1. In the longer term, we've known that NOLA was a disaster waiting to happen for about a century.

2. In the shorter term, the Bush admin has been slashing levee and other control measures from the Army Corps of Engineers from 2003 on to fund Iraq. Well known; search the Times-Picayune

3. In the immediate term, we knew at least as of landfall in Florida that Katrina was a danger to the Gulf Coast. We had days to prepare for NOLA landfall; the satellite photos showed a giant storm covering most of the Gulf.

So, how, again, were we unprepared?

Pero, I'll stop by! Last lefty I based was George Lakoff, linguist-darling of the Democrats. I think he's totally full of it, and I've read his work. He's supposedly helping to "form the message," which, to me, is PR B.S.

Maybe I should be more specific: show me a post where Bush's response to Katrina has been criticized. I'm happy to read the other criticisms, and, yes, I saw the refs to moveon.org, etc.

layman, you claimed recruitment bonuses had been cancelled due to heavy recruitment. You posted a link. The link is from August 2002. I don't see how that helps your argument about August 2005. Check the post more.

 
At 9/05/2005 04:30:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Just thought of a new nick name for Jesse Jackson Jr.

ELIHU!

(see the book of Job, in the old testament)

Oh I like my word verification word! itnkc (it's in KC) wooohoooo!

 
At 9/06/2005 06:30:00 PM, Blogger Layman said...

Doug,

Here is more current news about reeinlistment:

"The general did say the Army has surpassed its re-enlistment projections so far for fiscal year 2005. The Army's active duty re-enlistment rate is 107 percent of projected estimates, with 58,480 soldiers re-enlisting between Oct. 1, 2004 and July 31, 2005. The Army was hoping to re-enlist 54,510 soldiers during that time. Lovelace said the Army National Guard and Reserve re-enlistment rates are also exceeding 100 percent of projections."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166490,00.html

 
At 9/07/2005 05:08:00 AM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

layman/chris: yes. i absolutely think that's the case. i don't believe it's as "anti-God" as it really is "anti-Bush."

it's simply political.

mark: exactly right. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home