9.21.2005

More Shocking News...Maybe Not

I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear that a survey revealed that most people don't trust politicians was news. It's not news to any of us. I wish I could say that I was taken aback when Republicans immediately defended the president and Democrats immediately attacked the president in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Business as usual.

Well, today's "news" is that Democratic leader Harry Reid is opposing the nomination of Judge John Roberts. Massive development, right? Wrong. I can--but won't--list all the people (myself included) who predicted that this is exactly what the far left of the Democratic party would do. Who would pass the "mainstream" test? I appreciate what my friend over at The Right is Right commented somewhat sarcastically (okay, really sarcastically) recently about John Roberts:

Don't you know it is completely unacceptable for a man to be a heterosexual, husband, with children?!?!?!Come on now.....He must be a complete nut to be all three (hetero, husband, father). I just know he has to be a religious zealot, bent on taking away the rights of every non-normal person. So he must be filibustered, by the keepers of the "mainstream"......You know, the "mainstream" of pedophilia, rights for terrorists, the Prenatal Holocaust, Mengelian science, Illegal Aliens, Fidel Castro, etc.
While Pero may be exaggerating a bit to make his point, he's not far off. What exactly would be acceptable? Why is it that Democrats are the ones who define "mainstream?" Harry Reid, Ted Kennedy, Dick Durbin and Patrick Leahy all oppose the president's nominee? No kidding.

The fact that they disapprove is always a good sign as far as I'm concerned. My bigger problem is with whether Republicans will lead and stand strong against the opposition. I believe that Roberts will be confirmed and that Reid's opposition is nothing but empty, shallow rhetoric. Perhaps an attempt to flex what little political muscle he thinks he has.

But, if the majority party doesn't handle this right (no pun intended), we may as well crown Hillary dictator...oh, I mean president.

5 Comments:

At 9/21/2005 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Jaymeister said...

I don't mean to come on here and correct what you write, Lores, but it has to be pointed out that Reid did NOT threaten to filibuster the Roberts nomination.

"The question is close, and the arguments against him do not warrant extraordinary procedural tactics to block the nomination."

He has only said that he himself will not vote for Roberts. Since there is no threat of filibuster, Reid's decision affects nobody but himself, and certainly has nothing to do with the filibuster compromise deal. Roberts is not being denied his up-or-down vote.

 
At 9/21/2005 02:09:00 PM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

Point noted, Jaymeister. That's the problem with my posting at midnight after a really draining day. My apologies. I have revised the post.

Thanks for keeping me honest! :)

 
At 9/21/2005 02:50:00 PM, Anonymous Jets said...

Reid in opposing the nomination is really making a huge political mistake, which I'm not surprised by or sorry to see. This is not the nomination that will alter the balance of the court since it's one conservative for another. It's the next nominee who will hopefully change the balance, as long as Roberts or the next nominee don't prove to be another Kennedy.

So the wise move would for the democrats would be to vote for Roberts and let him on the court with a unanimous vote. Then they would have free reign to oppose the next nominee and not be open to the accusation, a truthful one at that, of just being opposed to all Bush nominees.

 
At 9/22/2005 03:25:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

The direction in which our country is going currently is pretty much the subject of the Novel i am attempting to write.

It seeks to describe what life will be like in our country should trends continue along their present course.

 
At 9/22/2005 06:46:00 AM, Blogger Mary said...

The Dems are really losing it.

By voting against Roberts, they may win support from the radical Left extremists, but they mainstream America.

Roberts is obviously qualified. I'm in awe of his knowledge of the law.

There is no valid justification for voting against him.

Any Dem willing to vote against Roberts is willing to sell his soul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home