9.16.2005

My Thoughts on the Speech

I don't pretend to know more about disasters or speeches or spending. But, I have just a few thoughts about the president's speech tonight.

What I wish were different:
Why was the camera set up so that he was looking down towards us as he spoke? Was that intentional or overlooked? Were they going for a "daddy is taking care of you" tone, setting him up as the leader we look up to? I didn't like that.

I don't ever think that having the president give out websites and 800 numbers during a national speech is the most presidential thing to do, especially since it has now been two weeks since the hurricane hit. If he was really concerned about missing persons, why the two week wait for the national announcement of the website? If it's just good information, it seems an unusual time to present it.

I wish that a limited government, private ownership, conservative president would stop breaking spending records.

What worked:
The president does well when he connects with the "common man" on the street. His attire was perfect. Top botton unbuttoned on a G W blue dress shirt. Sleeves rolled up. Looks like a working man. Good move. Good look.

He is also effective when he lets us see his heart. His compassion for the people, his concern for the region as well as his hope for the future. His sincerity and conviction win the hearts and minds of the American people every time.

His mention of the private relief efforts--individuals, corporations and churches. Honoring Americans for taking care of their own.

The commitment to improving emergency relief efforts and fighting racism appropriately addressed both legitimate and illegitimate attacks over the initial delayed response to the disaster.


I always wish he were a more natural speaker. But, I'll take sincerity over eloquence any day!


9 Comments:

At 9/16/2005 04:08:00 AM, Blogger Goat said...

Howdy,I have my thoughts up as well and a symposium idea. Let me know what you think?

 
At 9/16/2005 04:31:00 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Good observations, Lores.

I agree. The President shouldn't be giving out phone numbers during a speech.

I think you nailed what worked.

Bush's sincerity is so refreshing. He's not slick. I see that as a good thing.

 
At 9/16/2005 04:32:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Bush won me over when he thanked John Kerry for his service in Vietnam all the while Kerry was slinging all the mud at him he could dredge up.

Bush is a man of integrity.

 
At 9/16/2005 04:43:00 AM, Blogger Goat said...

The number he gave was to help families find one another,what is wrong with that,out of place,yes,needed,yes. I think he did portray leadership,a fix it and move on mentality is what makes a leader on the jobsite, not endless committees to assess.

 
At 9/16/2005 05:01:00 AM, Blogger William said...

I did think that it was a good thing for him to take responsibitlity for the hurricane response. To me, this meant that he was silencing the accusations and moving forward.

It was as if Bush were saying: "If you need someone to blame, blame me so that we can just get back to more important things."

I also commend him on the practical plans of implementation. I think that it's a great idea to give the residents opportunities to advance their education as well as to see the New New Orleans flourish with commerce from members of its own city.

I do agree with you too, Lores. I thought that there was something irregular about the camera angle. And, I couldn't help but cringe as he read the telephone number aloud...twice! I thought I was radioing in to a dispatch.

However, integrity and compassion are indeed Bush's two most admirable characteristics.

 
At 9/16/2005 05:17:00 AM, Blogger mlwhitt said...

Not to change the subject, but have you guys heard that the Governor of LA is now saying that she takes responsibility for the events after Katrina. Got to love our the Democrats can't stand it when Bush takes a stand. Makes them look bad. Of course they do that pretty well themselves anyway.

Good thoughts on the speech by the way Lores. I completely agree that he should be reading out website URLs or 800 numbers, doesn't look very Presidental as you said. But I agree that we have to give him Kudos for reaching out to the average joe and jane.

 
At 9/16/2005 02:35:00 PM, Blogger Jaymeister said...

Lores, I have not seen the speech or read excerpts yet, so I can only comment on your take of it. From what I gather, you seem to have liked the style (except for the camera angle) but not so much the substance. You commmented on how well it would "play" with the common man, placing importance on its political implications. But I appreciate your conservative consistency by your objecting to the federal spending initiative, even if I disagree.

 
At 9/19/2005 02:21:00 AM, Blogger pawlr said...

Yeah, pretty good speech, I gotta admit, he had me misting up a bit there at the end with that part about the "second line" at N'awlins funerals.

Too bad it failed and the people aren't buying the schtick anymore.

 
At 9/19/2005 05:04:00 PM, Blogger pawlr said...

More evidence of Bush's failure to help himself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home