9.06.2005

Never Again

A teenager I know was watching television at a friend's house the other day. They had it turned onto a cable news channel. The teen was shocked at what he saw (apparently, he wasn't watching the news at home) and asked, "Is that a third-world country? Where is that?"

Third world? I could see why. People starving, without food or water. People stranded on the roof of their demolished home. Women and children being raped while seeking shelter and safety. Men, women and children wading in
waters infested with bacteria and disease. People committing suicide out of fear of armed looters. Children wandering about searching for their parents. And, in one village about 20 bodies were found tied together . Sounds third-world to me...

However, I also saw a report about a ministry that put on a Tea Party for some of the women and girls. One woman said it was the first time she was able to get her mind of what happened to her and found herself grateful to God for her life. It was simply taking a step back from the emotions and circumstances that she gained perspective.

I hope that in the days to come, as we continue to assess the entire tragedy, that we would not miss the fullness of the moment. That we would not miss the frailty of life--in first and third world countries. That we would not miss the opportunity to pray for those finding themselves in such a horrific predicament. That we would not miss the value of life--in first and third world countries. That we would not take for granted every breath, even on "bad days."


I also hope that we would never again look at a tragedy in the third world the same way.


8 Comments:

At 9/06/2005 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Life is precious. I'm glad to see some happiness and comfort for the hurricane victims.
I'm also glad to see some of those very poor New Orleans residents receiving health care and immunizations.
Good has a way of rising out of bad situations.

 
At 9/07/2005 04:16:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I hadn't heard about the 22 victims tied together. That is tragic.

I did hear you on Hannity today tho. It wa the first time I've heard you on that show since the day you managed to plug your blog, which is the way I found you.

You have a sexy voice.

Next time plug my blog. ;)

 
At 9/07/2005 04:18:00 AM, Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

It's true that we live a rather self-centered existence. I'm very proud of many things in my country and all, but the 3,000 citizens we lost on 9/11....the deaths resulting from this Hurricane which might run into the 10,000 range (who yet knows?)....those pale in relation to what many other countries have suffered and endured through for centuries.

 
At 9/07/2005 04:20:00 AM, Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Geez....I gotta start tuning into Hannity, I guess. Dennis Prager was really good today...forget which hour.

I musta posted my previous comment almost at the same time as Mark.

 
At 9/07/2005 04:43:00 AM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

jaime: you're so right. i wish we'd give as much airtime to the heroes and to the miraculous survival stories than we are to the prophets of doom.

mark: i've been on a couple of times since the day of the "plug." are you missing your daily 3-hours?! ;)

i think i'll take that as a compliment. i'll see what i could do about further promotions :)

wordsmith: i LOVE Prager too. but, you cannot miss Sean! why don't you start with one hour/day. you can work yourself up :) i've started calling Hugh Hewitt also. unfortunately, i was on hold with Hewitt towards the end of the show today when he cleared all the lines in order to get policemen to answer a question. :(

 
At 9/07/2005 08:46:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Loeres. I liten to Gunnity while I'm driving. If I was home when he was on I wouldn't be able to get his program. I only get 2 stations at home and they are both music stations.

So the 3 hours he is on I am driving my 310 miles a day. I get the first of his show on a delayed broadcast and by the time he gets to the end his signal has long since faded away so I do miss parts of it.

 
At 9/07/2005 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Didn't we say "never again" nearly four years ago to the day? Hmmmmm...

Lores: "prophets of doom?" Doom has come to 90,000 sq miles of the Gulf Coast. No prophecy there.

The important "prophecy" took place at meterological centers, both governmental and university-based, when Katrina was gaining force.

nantucket: Um, I'm sure your post will be of cold comfort to everyone in the Gulf Coast area.

Are you not disgusted that the WH has now suddenly decided that they cannot discuss responsibility since they have now discovered how serious this disaster is? Using the victims for political cover?

No amount of "miracles" can hide that ugly truth, which, I'm happy to say, the majority of Americans are painfully aware of.

 
At 9/07/2005 02:44:00 PM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

"Didn't we say "never again" nearly four years ago to the day? Hmmmmm..."

doug: if you read the entire post, then you realize that "never again" is not used in the same way we said "never again" after 9/11.

last sentence of the post: "I also hope that we would never again look at a tragedy in the third world the same way."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home