10.27.2005

The "Danger" of Christianity

Upon rolling out of bed this morning, I was awakened by the delightful aroma of Hazelnut Creme brewing in my coffee maker. After savoring every sip of the warm comfort-in-a-cup, praying and reading out of my Bible, I bounced out of bed to jump start my day.

While I confess I failed to pray for my president and other government leaders today, that is part of what I do as a Christian. Whether a conservative or a liberal is in office. While I have yet to look at my voter pamphlet for the upcoming state elections, I will and I will do so from a decidedly biblical perspective. Not conservative. Not liberal. Biblical.

Tonight, after dinner, I sat with some friends and watched a Tivo-ed episode of Commander-in-Chief. We all recognized the propaganda and discussed it as such. And, in tonight, all those in the group would call themselves "Christian" and would lean more "conservative" than "liberal."


This Saturday, a group of women at my church are getting together for breakfast. We'll hang out, have some mouth-watering french toast at our favorite cafe and talk about how to vote from a biblical worldview.

Some, well at least one former senator, might call me "dangerous."


What is it that makes me different from a typical "Republican?"

1. I believe that each sphere of government (from individual up to federal) has both its responsibilities and its limits..

2. Related to #1, I believe that the individual, the family and local community organizations (like churches) have a primary responsibility to care for their own.

3. I believe that a candidate's ability to demonstrate self-control, wisdom and success in their personal and family life is a measure of their ability to demonstrate self-control, wisdom and success in their public affairs.

4. I believe that character counts more than religious affiliation. I don't care that a candidate simply state that he/she is Christian or that he/she attends church every week. I do care that they have their priorities in order; that they treat their family with love and care; that they are people of integrity; and, that they work in excellence "as unto the Lord."

5. I believe that God places those who are in authority, regardless of religious or political affiliation. The same God who placed George W. Bush in authority as president did likewise with William Jefferson Clinton and Richard Nixon.

6. As such, the Bible makes it clear that we are to pray for "all those who are in authority." I believe it is my responsibility to pray for my leaders, regardless of party, religion, etc.

7. I believe that it is also my responsibility to be informed and to do my part to make a positive impact on my world. Psalm 116 says that "The heavens are the heavens of the Lord, But the earth He has given to the sons of men." That's us. We cannot forsake our responsibility to take care of this earth and its people. That covers everything from voting for good people, to caring for the environment, for the hurting, the impoverished and for those who don't have a voice of their own. It means getting the message out to those in my sphere of influence.

So, former US Senator John Danforth considers me and my faith part of what he calls "dangerous" and "divisive" in the Republican Party.

That's too bad. If you ask me, we need more people praying and taking responsibility for themselves and their nation. Could it be that the division has come as a result of flip-flopping and not as a result of faith? I believe that both the current Republican and Democratic parties could use a strong dose of conviction, fortitude and, yes, even faith.

But, that's just one woman's perspective on this particular issue of the day...




11 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 10:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike the "typical Republican?" Speaking as a "typical Republican," I can tell you that your list of things you think make you superior to the typical Republican mostly conforms to what typical Republicans believe.

 
At 10/27/2005 10:24:00 AM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

anon: I do not believe that i am in any way superior to a "typical" Republican or to an atypical Democrat. I am simply addressing the statement by the former Senator as to that which is "dangerous" in the joining of "Christianity" and the "GOP."

Forgive me if I did not make that clear.

 
At 10/27/2005 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Teófilo de Jesús said...

I loved it! You go girl!

-Theo

 
At 10/27/2005 02:05:00 PM, Blogger Jaymeister said...

I can't speak as either a Republican or a Christian - but I'm impressed that you have a coffee maker right near your bed!

 
At 10/27/2005 04:54:00 PM, Blogger J. A. Gillmartin said...

I read this post and fear of women who are conservative and Christian, and not afraid to say so, descended upon me ... and I rejoiced knowing you guys are out there!

Blessings

 
At 10/27/2005 06:45:00 PM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

teofilo: thank you! and, welcome :)

jaymeister: well, actually, the coffee maker is in the kitchen. however, i have it set to brew so that the aroma lures me out of bed. :)

j.a. gillmartin: thank you, friend. it's a secret. don't tell anyone we're out here ;)

 
At 10/27/2005 07:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing is, I would bet that what Danforth was refering to where people who use religion as a way to win votes. Which we really all should be against.

Also, Danforth is a minister himself, so I highly doubt he's refering to Christianity as being dangerous. Just my 2 cents.

 
At 10/27/2005 09:58:00 PM, Blogger William said...

I wonder if the same concerns would surface if a politician expressed views that were inherently Buddhist or some other religion. Would someone ever say, "The Danger of Gay Rights Activistism" or "The Danger of Judaism?" I just wonder why Christianity is such a desirable target.

 
At 10/28/2005 01:36:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Lores, my belief in God and His message is what influences my ideology. All my blogposts reflect what I believe as a Christian. And I get attacked for my opinions often. No matter. "For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day"

Bless you.

 
At 10/28/2005 02:46:00 AM, Blogger The Floating Dome said...

I'm not going to comment on this one. I'm just going to link it to my blog. Lores, you rock.

 
At 10/31/2005 12:55:00 AM, Anonymous Dave Lucas said...

Lores, I've blogged many times in recent days about religion, and I've had spiritual leaders from various beliefs on my radio program. There is just one thing that I KNOW is true: the honest follower and believer of any faith is a good person with values, who respects others and has a code to live by. For these folks, their religion is their glue. They don't want to fight anyone, just praise God in their own way, and be left to live. It saddens me to see "Christian" suddenly equal to "conservative," just as it saddens me to see "Muslim" equal to "terrorist."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home