10.15.2005

God Blog Conference Themes

I've enjoyed attending the God Blog Conference at Biola University. I want to share some of the themes I've heard this weekend.

Excellence: Readers will keep coming if the quality and the content of the blog is excellent. Having something of worth to say is not enough. Grammar matters. By the same token, a well written post that lacks subtance is a waste of time and space.


Tone: "Don't let the sun go down on your 'Send' button!" Watch the tone of your post. Because those of us who write/blog tend to be a passionate bunch, it is easy to justify anger, self-righteousness or a critical attitude as "righteous indignation." If we really want to be part of the solution, then we must write in manner that will help to bring a positive impact on the culture.

The Bork/Miers Lesson: This is a theme I'd like to write more about later in discussing the Miers nomination. For now, in the context of the blogosphere, we cannot escape the reality that we can never take back what flies into cyberspace once we click "Publish." For most of us, this may not have any vital consequences. However, for those who aspire to any sort of public platform, our words will forever follow us. It's bad enough that our words will, most assuredly, be taken out of context. We can not afford to not to consider carefully before we hit "publish" or "send."

Beyond all the lessons, I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting a bunch of quality people. Honestly, that has been the greatest part of this conference. I'm blessed to have made some wonderful new friends!

7 Comments:

At 10/15/2005 05:06:00 PM, Blogger J. A. Gillmartin said...

Lores -

Loved getting to know you at GBC ... what a great witness for Christ. Let the light He gave you shine out of your smile and let the joy continue sparkle in those captivating eyes and you will add to the Kingdom all the days of your life.

HE ALONE IS WORTHY

 
At 10/15/2005 06:33:00 PM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

j.a. gillmartin: thank you for the very kind words! it was wonderful meeting you as well.

 
At 10/15/2005 11:10:00 PM, Blogger djchuang said...

Enjoyed hangin' out with you as well, Lores! Like your energy that you bring to the blogosophere :)

 
At 10/16/2005 03:16:00 AM, Blogger Goat said...

I have long said the same thing Lores about commenting in message boards or blogging, how we present ourselves goes miles towards credibilty and thus the building of a returning readership. I am a veteran of a few message board wars on O'Reilly's site none the less, a pay-to-play site. Today I found a blog that contained great information but every other word was #$%^ so I left despite the great info provided. There is tremendous power in the written word for it is a permanent stamp on who we are and for us bloggers it is a point well remembered. I do my best to run a clean information laden blog as a hardworking american citizen with a regular demanding job. America is far better informed by the day as folks like you and many others help bring this nation back to it moral groundings. Next time you are up Sac'to way let me know, lunch is on me if not already taken care of,LOL, still would like to meet you anyway.
God Bless

 
At 10/16/2005 03:21:00 AM, Blogger Goat said...

Oh and I can't wait for your impression of the Iraqi vote?!?

 
At 10/16/2005 04:02:00 AM, Blogger Cabe said...

Yah....Someone spammed my blog with this God Blog stuff....

Made me quite angry.

 
At 10/16/2005 05:07:00 AM, Blogger Rick Moore said...

I'm not a woman, but can I read your blog anyway? It was good to meet you at GodBlogCon. Keep writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home