10.11.2005

Intellectual Honesty

As much as talk radio has a well earned reputation of broad brushing liberals and conservatives alike, alienating everyone but "the base" and using the party talking points as the outline and arguments for discussion, that was not what took place at the "Hannitize For Your Protection" speech Sean Hannity delivered at the Wadsworth Theater in Los Angeles last Friday night.


While Sean took a few shots at some of the most ridiculous statements made by liberals and Democrats (e.g. Dick Durbin comparing our troops to Nazis, Howard Dean claiming that Republicans have never made an honest living, etc.), he also gave an honest and critical assessment of today's Republican party.


He credited Republican and conservative leadership in the war on terror, on moral and social issues and on the economy. But, he also let 'em have it for their failure to stand firm on the core values of the party. Issues of overspending, limited government and border control were top on his list of serious problems in the current version of the GOP.


As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Mark Levin in his standard brilliant and comedic form barely needed to lift a finger to make Gloria Allred look like a child on the playground, pointing the finger, frustrated but having no logical reasoning for her disapproval of Miers. Her biggest argument seemed to center around Miers being an "Evangelical" who actually goes to church, serves as a part of her church and supports her missions board (which is "anti-abortion," by the way).


It was pathetic to see Gloria in such a state. I may not agree with her most of the time. But, that wasn't the point. If I didn't know it, I would never have believe that this woman is a lawyer. She knows the law and the constitution. You would never know it.

It's too bad that demonstrations of intellectual integrity are so rare that we take note, even take time to stop and recognize it. But, I must commend both Sean Hannity and Mark Levin for not bowing down at the altar of Partisanship in order to be intellectually honest. We need more of that.

P.S. Here's me and Sean before the show. Unfortunately, I was talking as we were taking the picture. :)

9 Comments:

At 10/11/2005 12:44:00 PM, Blogger void said...

Sounds fun!

Mark Levin cracks me up with his wit and sarcasm. As much as I enjoy Coulter, too, I don't get her Mier's position. 2-3 years from now people will realize the wisdom in choosing Miers.

 
At 10/11/2005 11:46:00 PM, Anonymous Roger Overton said...

I finally got a few minutes to tune into Hannity today between jobs and heard you on the show! Good job!

 
At 10/12/2005 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

hey roger,
thank you. once i figure out how to do it myself, i'll be posting my calls on here.

thanks again.
"Lores from Los Angeles"

 
At 10/12/2005 12:37:00 AM, Anonymous Buckley F. Williams said...

"2-3 years from now people will realize the wisdom in choosing Miers."

Mike- that remains to be seen.

More importantly however, I hope that the debate on the conservative side remains civil, because there is much to discuss with regard to this selection.

Lores-I heard you on Hannity as well. Great stuff.

 
At 10/12/2005 02:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lores - Wow! I know a celebrity! I was making a bank deposit when you came on (so was zoning) and didn't hear his address you by name - but recognized your voice from the last time. Had to pat myself on the back for guessing right!. Ciao. S. in Atlanta

 
At 10/12/2005 02:50:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I get all the nuts at my place. You get the good ones. LOL You got more time than usual today, Lores. By the way, I like your new pic. You look good.

 
At 10/12/2005 03:24:00 AM, Anonymous Paul Sveda said...

Hannity has some good points however I don't realy enjoy his interview process. I especialy don't enjoy it when he faces off and tries to out shout even rationaly speaking liberals. Makes the guy look like a radio goon. But then I'm rather a Boortz & Savage fan. Nice blog.

 
At 10/12/2005 08:55:00 AM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

buckley: welcome! i just stopped by your blog. hilarious. i love it. i hope you keep coming by here :)

anon: you're sweet! do i know you? why "S in Atlanta?"

mark: thanks. yes, time varies, depending on the timing of the call relative to the looming "hard break" :)...and, thanks for noticing the new pic. i just got new headshots done and thought i'd get some use out of them...also you don't get 'nuts' at your place. i visit ;)

paul: welcome to you too! cool pics at your place!

 
At 10/12/2005 05:31:00 PM, Blogger void said...

Buckley: It's called a prediction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home