10.07.2005

Without A Vision

"Without a vision, the people cast off restraint." (Proverb)



I have one question regarding the speech President Bush delivered yesterday: why did he wait so long to give it?

One of my greatest frustrations with this administration is communication and public relations, or lack thereof.

Here was a speech that communicated the larger purpose of the war on terror. It included highlights of the accomplishments of the war in Iraq. The speech instructed and inspired.

One part of the speech that piqued my interest the most was the president's claim that more than 10 terrorist threats have been foiled since September 11, 2001. That's not insignificant. Not a filler.

We may have felt that it has been miraculous for the United States to not get hit again since that tragic day. However, something about hearing the president speak with such passion and authority was encouraging and reassuring. They are on the job.

If I could offer one tiny piece of advice to the White House, I would say this: Please don't make this speech a one-time event. The American people, and the world, need to make sense of the war, of the 'new normal' in airports and subways. We need to be reminded of that terrible Tuesday in September as well as the new-found liberty of the Iraqi people.

Mr. President, please keep talking. Be honest about the mistakes and be bold about the successes. You will fan the flames of faith, courage and passion with the vision you set forth today.

May God bless you...and may God bless America!

9 Comments:

At 10/07/2005 04:31:00 PM, Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I liked that speech, even though in some ways, it still sounds like he is on the defensive. I liked the fact that he finally had the political courage to finally label this war as involving "Islam", at the same time making sure to distinguish between the radical militant "religion of submitting to terror" element, and the "religion of peace".

The Bush Administration's incompetence in the PR dept has been extremely frustrating for me. The 10 instances of thwarted plots is nothing new to people like me willing to go out and seek that sort of information from books like Shadow War, by Richard Miniter. But it's ridiculous that the Administration doesn't make sure that everyone hears about positive news and successes in the face of so much negativity, pessimism, and criticism.

There's a lot of success stories going on behind the scenes, in a global cooperative network where al Qaeda members have been killed and captured in 113 countries. But you don't hear much about this in your everyday news.

 
At 10/07/2005 06:56:00 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I agree with you. President Bush is best when he is out there in front of us, leading and keeping us informed. People will always poke fun of the way he talks and that his delivery isn't polished, but it seems to me that people like him when he is straightforward and visible.
He knows he is doing the right thing, and he is passionate about it. We need to see that and hear that on a regular basis. I hope he takes your advice.

 
At 10/07/2005 06:58:00 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Oh, BTW, my post today lists MY qualifications to be nominated for the Supreme Court.
So if Harriet doesn't work out, I'm avaliable.

 
At 10/08/2005 02:18:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Hi Lores, I heard you on Hannity again today. In fact, I heard you twice. On my job, I drive about 100 mules and back. because i drive out of the range of one radio station and into another I hear the end of Hannity on one station and the beginning on the other.

I agree he should keep us informed better, but I still don't think his opponents would listen anyway.

 
At 10/08/2005 03:53:00 AM, Blogger Poison Pero said...

"On my job, I drive about 100 mules and back" - Mark
---------------
That's against the law in most states, Mark.......I wouldn't be proud of it:)

Have a good weekend everyone......I'm taking a break from the Blogosphere.

 
At 10/08/2005 06:12:00 AM, Blogger Goat said...

It was scheduled for 9/11 but a couple storms got in the way. Great speech!

 
At 10/08/2005 04:58:00 PM, Anonymous luke said...

When I saw your last post, I went looking for the speech. Unfortunately I found msnbc's video clip about the speech instead of the speech itself. What a downer. It seemed to me that they turned every positive thing he said into a negative.

I had to do some searching before I finally found it at whitehouse.gov. I was surprised to see so much there... other speeches, radio addresses, press conferences, etc... I might just hit the site once and a while to get encouraged about the guy leading the country. Maybe if enough people start linking to what is there the google phenom will take over and we can start our own PR push.

Keep up the awesome work Lores. Oh, I voted for you too :-) C and I are off today for Mexico... gonna be great. Have a great week.

 
At 10/08/2005 08:20:00 PM, Blogger pawlr said...

There are serious questions about the accuracy of Bush's figures with respect to anti-terrorist operations.

We know that Bush shown a pattern of inflating the effectiveness of his administration's policies.

Perhaps that's why more than half Americans believe Bush is not a strong leader and 69% of this country believe that we are on the wrong track.

The reason Bush is failing to make his case is because there is no case to make. Iraq has made us less safe, and degraded readiness on the home front. 59% support withdrawing troops as soon as possible. Is that because they're cowards?

No.. its because they realize its the wrong war, wrong place, wrong time. Welcome to the minority, folks - how does it feel?

 
At 10/11/2005 06:04:00 AM, Blogger Lores Rizkalla said...

jamie: i agree with you. i didn't, however, realize you were in the running. gonna have to check out your qualifications. maybe we can start a grassroots movement..."You don't speak for me, Harriet!" :)

mark: sorry you heard me twice. you oughtta call in too. since you're driving so much. how's the mule? ha ha ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home